In line with advice from the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, we have decided to introduce a document explaining what we shall provide for you and your pet(s), and in return what we expect from you.
1. We shall provide 24-hour care for your pet(s). When our surgery is closed, we shall entrust Elizabeth Street Veterinary Clinic to provide an emergency service for your pets. You will be charged separately by them at the time.
2. Our staff will always be courteous to you and try to help. We will treat your pet with kindness and respect. We will listen to you and explain everything involved in your pet’s treatment as we go along. We shall keep all your details confidential. In return, we expect our clients to be polite to us. Rude or aggressive behaviour to any of our staff will not be tolerated.
3. We ask that you keep your cat in a basket in the waiting room. We also ask that dogs are kept on a lead. If your animal is exceptionally nervous and possibly aggressive, we ask that you warn us in advance so that we can plan to minimise stress to all parties.
4. We ask that you pay your bill with us at the time of consultation. To keep our costs down and therefore our fees as low as possible, we do not run accounts. We are happy to estimate the cost of any course of treatment or procedure. We shall make every effort to stay within the estimate. If unforeseen circumstances arise we shall discuss these with you before proceeding further. We reserve the right to charge administrative costs and interest to your bill if it is not paid on time.
In the case of insurance claims, we will fill in the veterinary section only and send off your forms at no charge. Under FSA rules it is essential that you complete your section of the form; we are not allowed to do so. We ask that you pay your account with us before we do so. We are unable to submit “direct” claims as the insurance companies are not able to deal directly with us due to data protection rules.
5. Please give us as much notice as possible if you are unable to attend an appointment or a pre-booked procedure.
We ask that you provide us with at least thirty minutes notice in the case of a cancellation of your appointment. If we are not notified within this time then we will apply a £20 non-attendance fee to your account. We appreciate that situations are sometimes out of your control and will be sympathetic to this.
6. We routinely dispense drugs from our own dispensary. If you request it, we are legally obliged to provide you with a prescription to be fulfilled elsewhere at the cost of £17 (including VAT). However, we would like you to bear in mind that a proportion of our income is generated from the sale of drugs. In return, we keep our professional consultation fees as affordable as possible. We feel strongly that veterinary care should be available to all animals and are therefore reluctant to increase our consultation fees.
7. If your pet is on long-term medication, we need to check him or her at least every six months. For long-term prescription diets, we require that we see you every six to twelve months. For this consultation, we charge £56 (including VAT). We can only prescribe relevant veterinary medicinal products following a clinical assessment of animals under our care. Further information on the prices of drugs is available on request.
8. We ask that you switch off your mobile phone during consultations.
9. Occasionally we may need to prescribe a drug that is not licensed for use in your species of pet. If this is the case, we shall explain it to you, and we shall ask you to sign a form of consent.
10. If we need to admit your pet to the surgery, we will ask you to fill in a consent form. We ask that you give us a telephone number where you can be contacted at all times.
11. If you are unable to bring your pet in to the surgery yourself, please call the surgery in advance to inform us of who will bring your pet in. Please be aware that we require your written consent or that of your agent (who cannot be a minor) for treatment of your animal.
12. Any promotional material such as pamphlets, online postings and offers are subject to availability. Any promotion offering discounted consultations is valid once per animal during the promotional period.
We look forward to looking after you and your pet.